Melkonian Educational Institute - Cyprus
The Melkonian Educational Institute was the largest boarding school for Armenians in the Diaspora. It was built by two brothers, Krikor and Garabed Melkonian. The project started in 1924 and was finished in 1926. Of the two brothers, only Garabed Melkonian was fortunate enough to witness the completion.
In the beginning, it was an orphanage for Armenians who had survived the 1915-1923 genocide. Gradually, it turned into a world renowned secondary school.
The school and its property of 16 buildings, football and basketball fields, a small forest and a large plot of land, belongs to the AGBU, which also subsidized the running of the school.
More than 1500 Armenians have graduated from the Melkonian over the years. In the last years, 32 teachers instructed some 200 students from over 20 countries, ranging from the Middle East to North and South America.
The Melkonian used to play a crucial role in the cultural, educational and athletic life of the Armenian Cypriots. In 2001, the school celebrated its 75th anniversary amid great pomp and celebrations, both in Cyprus and abroad.
In 2005 it was closed for good with the decision of the AGBU CENTRAL BOARD OF DIRECTORS.
Special thanks to Hermine Sayan for supplying some of the pictures.
(Pictures from 1976-1977 years)
Life as we knew it than!